Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Working for mom.

My mom opened her donut shop in 1980. She worked for the same donut chain for several years before that. My brother and myself were my mother's bakers. My brother cut the donuts and I fried them. We also started to do kolaches, which had not been done before for this donut chain. Sill to this day my brother likes to think he invented the Kolache. So as you can see, even through it was a chain, we ran it like a family business. I also had a sister her worked the counter with my mom. The business was a great hit for our neighborhood, and soon we known as the donut family. Soon my high school sweet hart came on board which made work a little more fun for me. My dad was also a big influence on me. He was a Chief Stuart for a major shipping company. He always told me do good in school and work hard. He was a great cook and being around him cooking must of implanted a seed in me. Tomorrow I will have more stories, and remember it is our parents who help guide us through life, so go pick them up some hot donuts and give them a big hug!

See you tomorrow,
The donut expert.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm....don't forget to mention that you are the 6th born child of 10 children and that it was your eldest sister that first worked at this donut chain that you ate talking about. It was in the late 60's and when she graduated from high school in 1969 and went to junior college she encouraged her mom (when her youngest child was 6 yrs. old) to get back out into the workforce and the rest is DONUT HISTORY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COMMENT FROM MOM: "Your dad was a great cook and baker. He never went to culinary school. He was way before his time and he was self-taught. He was a Chief Steward for Lykes Brothers Steamship Company. It must run in the family because my dad (your grandfather) was also a great cook and baker. He worked for major restaurants on the Galveston Island. The Crystal Palace Cafe being one of them. This was back in the 1940's and like your sister said....."the rest is DONUT HISTORY!"

    ReplyDelete